Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Flickr, Delicious, and Other Creations

Just in case you missed it, I put links to my personal flickr and delicious sites on the toolbar of the main screen here on my blog. The links appear under the title "My Online Creations" located right under my picture and about me. Please follow the links from there to view my pictures and favorite bookmarked sites.

FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laser2411
My thoughts are flickr are a bit negative. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of uploading my pictures to the Internet for safe keeping. Not only can I relax about never losing the backed-up photos, but it's also extraordinarily easy for my friends to view my pictures. I've used photo sharing sites before such as snapfish and shutterfly; however, I had never tried flickr so I thought I would give it a try. It was very simple to use for uploading photos and organizing them into sets for groups to view. I also like how I can choose to set each individual picture as Public or Private. Now, onto the downfalls.... I'm a very organized person. I like to have everything saved in individual folders with labels and so on. With Flickr, a "basic" user is only allowed to create 3 sets of albums. If you want more, you must pay a fee for a flickr membership. The sites I had been using like Snapfish and Shutterfly do not cost anything to post. Plus, these sites have various options for ordering prints and other photo creations. Flickr's main purpose is to back up your files and share them with friends. The only difference with Snapfish or Shutterfly is that you must select "who" you want to share your photos with and send them a message with a link to your photos. I believe these friends must also have (or create a new) account to view the pictures.

DELICIOUS: http://delicious.com/laser2411
This social bookmarking tool is absolutely amazing. I love the fact that I can bookmark any sites that I want, provide them with tags, and be able to access them from any computer.....not to mention the fact that I can share/view bookmarks with my friends. Being a teacher, this is an excellent way to get the students on the sites you find. Websites I find on my computer can easily be accessed in the computer lab for my students. Right now, I have 20 bookmarks, and I'm currently working on finding more. I've tagged them all so when I need a specific site, it's easy to find. It's truly a great Web 2.0 tool!!

Please Note: If you check the discussion board, I've posted my thoughts on our class chat from Monday, November 10th. (I had parent-teacher conferences during the regular class time.)

No comments: